Friday, May 18, 2007

Canby Gator Grinder Triathlon, May 12

Being on vacation the week before, doing only a few (strenous) hikes and one 22 mile bike ride... fine tapering for a triathlon :-) I was SO not ready for this one. I didn't even time my swim; just went with last year's swim time (9 minutes).

So, got home Thursday, and realized I'd have to get organized for the triathlon to happen Saturday morning. The projected outdoor temperature was the dreaded low-50's. Will it be cold? Or not? Remember I'm starting off the bike ride soaking wet. Packed the usual stuff, plus knee warmers, a wind vest, and a lighter-weight long-sleeve shirt. I decided that despite the speed of putting on running shoes with velcro fasteners, I was going to do this run in my preferred running shoes.

Found the driving directions still in my bag from last year. As I wasn't carpooling this year, I got to sleep in until 6:30am, for my pre-8:30am checkin, 9:30am start time. Nice.

I arrived a little after 8, and was greeted by Renata as I walked through the transition area. She was warming up on her bike. I stopped and chatted with Nora, Lindsey, Molly, Abra, Katie... and eventually went over to get my numbers marked and set up my transition area space. Went inside to cheer Susan's swim start. Went back outside. The sound system was playing "Roxanne"; a group of us sang along.

Susan finished her swim, so we cheered her through her transition to bike. Nora's husband and middle child were also in that heat, so we cheered them on, too. Katie, also I think. More standing around, and then Jeff came flying in from his bike leg - he was the second cyclist to finish. The woman who came in after him was very admiring of his skill on the curves and downhills. That's Jeff :-) Nora's husband and son came in; had a very leisurely transition, and trotted off to start the run.

Ate a Mango Hammer Gel about 9:10.

FINALLY it was 9:20, so I wandered in to get ready for my swim. The heat before finished, and I got over to my lane - 3 big guys; I was the last position swimmer. They'd already worked out passing guidelines. Fine by me. I don't much enjoy this part - not because I'm not a more-than-decent swimmer, but racing 4 in a lane just isn't fun. I wanted to get in and swim a BIT to warm up, but they were all blocking and talking, so I didn't get into the pool until it was time to start.

Time to go. I wasn't planning to pass anyone - my strategy here is to just swim the 500 yards and move on. Passed the swimmer in front of me by the 2nd turn, and by the 3rd-to-last turn, passed the first swimmer. Got to enjoy 3 lengths of no one one front of me.

Ran out to the transition area. Nora's tip from last year of talcum powder in the cycling gloves worked well - I wasted a lot of time pulling on my riding gloves last year. Susan and Jeff had finished by then, so were cheering me on. It had warmed up enough; no extra clothing needed. Lindsey's boyfriend unracked my bike and brought it over. Nice.

The course seemed shorter than I remembered (clearly doing it the 3rd time is the charm). I had the Mocha Mocha Clif Shot just before the big hill, and had sticky fingers and hoods for the rest of the ride :-) My right inner quad was not happy during the ride; lingering aftereffect of the crash in February. Caught up and passed Lindsey on the hilly stretch. Tried to drink some Gatorade during the ride; didn't get much. Did the hard right turn onto 13th, then up the slight incline, past the running course, around the corner, and transition to the run. That's the easy transition - rack the bike, cycling sandals, gloves, helmet off, running shoes and cap on.

Out throught the school grounds (lumpy :-) ) then around the building and onto the paved surface, down the street to the turn into the neighborhood with another school; two loops around their track, then back out. The volunteers were wonderful as always - "you look awesome!" - at this point I feel vaguely like death warmed over. My head is playing little games with me, and another part is going NOT A DEMOCRACY KEEP THOSE LEGS TURNING OVER! Back up the street, turn right, a half loop on the track, try to summon a kick... I hear Susan, et al cheering me on. Cross the finish line, actually remember to stop my HRM, and get some water. 1:23:32.

We all stand around waiting for Molly, Brian, Abra, and Lindsey to finish. Abra was bound and determined to pass the folks in front of her on the track; she caught most of them! They all had very strong finishes.

Eventually we decided to head back to the locker room and get showers and eat. Jeff and Susan brought their grill and food; most of us brought more food, so we had a nice little tailgate party while waiting for the results.

results are here:http://www.canbygators.com/Grinder/2007Results/Index.html

I'm in Individual Road Female 50-54. I finished 2nd in my age group, 20th out of 92 women, and 70th out of 186 overall entries.

Pictures are here:http://www.backprint.com/view_user_event.asp?PID=bp%18%7EA&EVENTID=18958&BIB=89&S=230&PWD=
and one more here:http://www.backprint.com/view_event_photos.asp?PID=bp%18%7EA&EVENTID=18958&PWD=
(I'm on the bottom left, row 7 pic 1).
Brian is row 3 pic 3
Susan is Row 4 pic 4
Renata is Row 6 pic 2
Nora's son is Row 1 pic 1

No comments: