Saturday, September 15, 2007

I really should know better...

Rickey and Cecil thought a ride out to Lacamas Lake would be good. Since Rickey was riding from home, we planned to meet at the Beaverton Red Robin, and meet Cecil at Voodoo Doughnuts. Then back to Cecil's house (not far) for plumbing and meeting the spouse and dogs.

Somehow I had a mental mileage lapse. Lacamas Lake is 23 miles or so from downtown Vancouver (heck, it is in Camas!). I knew getting to downtown Portland wasn't more than 10 or 11 miles. I forgot the part from downtown to over the Columbia River...

When all was said and done, 80.5 miles. To be fair, Cecil usually rides from her home to the west - 11 miles to where we meet, another 10 to the Portland Velo ride start point.

High points:
Learning how to cross the I-5 bridge
The path along the Columbia on the Washington side
Lacamas Lake
The wide roads with bike lanes all over Vancouver
My first Voodoo Doughnut (plain cake - I'm very boring)
Riding back up through Washington Park just isn't that hard anymore
Trees turning red, crunchy leaves on the road

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recommend the Voodoo with the white frosting and rainbow jimmies.

lynnef said...

it was too early in the morning to manage quite that much sugar...