Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Aqua-Cyclist Ride

Portland Velo had an easy 35 mile out and back on Dairy Creek Rd today. Cecil and I (both aqua-cyclists, who ride aqua bicycles) thought we'd do it, riding to the start.

Met Cecil heading down to my house (guess she got to the meet point first). It was raining. The forecast was rain, downpours, rain, rain, rain... And high 40's-low 50's. Ooooh, perfect.

Headed west; my right foot was starting to get a bit damp. Hmm. New booties, too. Forded Lake Evergreen. The water was probably almost up to my bottom bracket. Feet went into the water, pedaling (slowly). So now both feet were wet. Arrived at Longbottom's to find an empty parking lot, and John saying: "folks are inside. The ride has been called off." Cecil wanted something hot to drink, so we went in. Goodness, those Portland Velo folks look nice in their matching breakfast outfits. A group of 10 came by, and then left for the ride (race team, I think) We did some Showers Pass jacket endorsements. After assuring everyone that, yes, we WERE in fact riding, and having some coffee and a bit of scone (and wringing out gloves and socks), we started out.

(Rickey, we MISSED you!)

It was a nice ride. Kent A joined us for awhile as we headed up Dairy Creek Rd, but took off when I stopped to eat at the turn around. The fall colors on Dairy Creek are looking good; don't know how much longer they'll last.

Headed back out Dairy Creek, then pulled over at the (defunct) store to put on dry gloves. Cecil thought she'd wring everything out at the point, and Mike G came by as we were lightening our socks and gloves. Our shoes were sopped, but we couldn't squeeze them out. Pulled on dry gloves, and continued east.

Stopped at Longbottom's briefly, only to run into Fitz (!) who had just dropped Brian off at Hillsboro Stadium for the marching band competition (poor kids). Off again, heading home.

We elected to turn left in front of Nike to get off Walker Rd - lots of traffic, heavy rain, and bike lanes full of tree debris and wet leaves.

Cecil and I concluded that we are a very bad influence on each other, and hope it will continue for a good long time. We do much stupider stuff together than we ever would separately.

Up the Park Way hill, then I turned off to go home, and Cecil headed out for her last 10 miles.

Epilog: 55.7 miles. Hot shower, very tingly toes. Hot soup.

4 comments:

Lesli Larson said...

Wish I lived closer to you two so I could be compelled by your nuttiness into riding in conditions like today! What's your current set-up for rain protection for your feet and hands?!

hate to see the pretty tan sidewalls on my bike bleed black.

lynnef said...

so far, not up to torrential downpours... Gloves that claim to be waterproof and aren't (the ones I wore on the Hot Springs 300), and Sugoi Resistor booties. Maybe I need waterproof SHOES. PI has some with Goretex; maybe they'd be good.

Tan sidewalls get dirty. The chainstays get grubby, too.

Take heart, the Verboort Populaire could have equally delightful weather conditions :-)

Anonymous said...

I wish I lived closer too, so I could fall under your bad influence.

For tingly toes I wear wool socks OVER my cycling shoes (and run my toe-straps wide open to accommodate them -- showing my retro-grouchy self there). The wool may get wet but my feet stay warm and dry inside.
See you at Verboort!

lynnef said...

We ride right past the Sunset Max Transit Center. Well, right past where the ped bridge over Hwy 26 dumps out. Meetups could be arranged.

That said, I'm probably NOT riding to the start of the Verboort.