Monday, May 16, 2011

Triathlon!


Once a year, whether I need it or not. :-)

The Gator Grinder sprint triathlon in Canby, again, hanging with Team Estrogen and Friends.  I'm in the "Friends" group.

Upgraded my triathlon wear to a new Sugoi top.

Collected Cecil and we carpooled on over.  I had a 9:30am start; hers was 9:45, so no need to rush.  The weather was... damp-ish.  Coolest, wettest triathlon I've ever participated in.  I had extra layers ready for the bike and run legs, and a big plastic bag to put over the top of them so they wouldn't get wet in the rain.

Much visiting and twitching beforehand.  I don't usually get this worked up before a bike ride anymore, but this was a race.  Starting with swimming.  My pre-swim-meet jitters completely took over.

pic by Cecil Reniche-Smith


Good swim lane, no demented frogs this year.  Wish I could say the same about my swim.  A few seconds faster than last year is all I can say.  Transition to bike took a bit longer - with the cold wet, I elected to pull on knee warmers.  This was a good thing.  2:45 faster than last year.

Didn't feel like I was running on wooden legs on the transition to the run.  Cecil was coming in on her bike as I was about a half mile or so into the run. To the school, around the track twice, pass Cecil again, back to the start.  Big TE and Friends crowd at the finish :-)  Hugs, congratulations, pictures, waiting for Cecil.  And there she was.

3:00 faster on the run.

Pic by Jeff Mendenhall
pic by Jeff Mendenhall

We walked back to the start area to put away our bikes and get our shower stuff.  Once we were clean and warm, headed out to the post-race TE tailgate party area.

Many fabulous door prizes were won.  I got a gift cert, which I promptly turned into a Transition Mat (think small yoga mat.  works as a transition mat, something to sit on, all sorts of uses).  Results were slowly announced.  I had a cheeseburger and sides and cookies while waiting for my age group...  Our group picked up MANY of the ribbons.

Waiting...  5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd...  They weren't calling times, and I heard the 2nd place called, and, well, she always beats me.  Or so I told Cecil, right before they called my name for 1st in my age group.  Squeak!  First out of seven in my age group, and I took first place by 5 minutes.

As Cecil says - Rando Girls Gone Wild

Yeah

A good day!

And great fun on Monday, sharing at our group standup. To quote a co-worker: "you CRUSHED!".

3 comments:

Janice in GA said...

You rocked that triathlon! Well done!

bikelovejones said...

MONSTAH!!

You rock so freakin' hard.

Congrats and enjoy the afterglow of that Blue Ribbon.

Fully Lugged said...

Great race Lynn!!! So, now you're going to train and enter a few more of them, right?