Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I'm sure happy I patched that flat

After last weekend's futile attempt to ride a 300km, I took myself out today just to remind myself I still knew how to ride a bicycle.

Apparently, not so fast - my rear tire was flatter than a pancake. Picked a lot of little glass bits out of the tire, and patched the tube. Finally, off to Council Crest. Nice, warm, sunny day.

I was playing with my new bike computer, as well, seeing what the waypoint function would do for me. The speedo kept going away, every time I went under power lines. After about a mile of this, I tweaked the sensor position to be closer to the magnet. All good from there on out.

A leisurely climb up to Sylvan (parts of Pointer are 14%. Now you know), then across Hwy 26, onto Hewett, up the last bit of Scholls Ferry, then into the neighborhood, up the hill, and all the way to the top (1086 feet, Google Earth says 1057 feet). Enjoyed my water and Fig Newtons, then headed off for the Fairmount Loop (3.62 miles).

Did I mention it was a really nice day? (temp 75 F)

Then finally back down to home (292 ft). Except, on the bike path, just above West Sylvan Middle School.... BANG!

My rear tire had a bead separation and blowout. You know, the one with the new tube with only one fresh new patch...

Fortunately, (Girl Scout/Randonneuse persona asserts) I still had my spare tire in the rear bag. Walked a bit down the path to the shady pullout for the middle school, and did a complete tube and tire change. It did take some wrestling - those tires that have a kevlar bead and fold flat want to stay that way, rather than go to a nice round cross section.

Two cyclists passed - the one in the most logo-ed clothing asked if I needed assistance. The other just rode by. Aid offering - 50%.

Finished the ride home and played with the data download. I think they are missing some obvious useful functionality, although what is there is certainly good.

Messing with the computer, I note that Bleriot rolled over 7000 miles this past Saturday.

Examining the Record Book (with 4 bicycles, it is worthwhile to note whenever anything of significance occurs), I see that the rear tire has been on the bike for just over 3000 miles. It started out as a front tire (1700 miles), then moved to the rear, when the rear tire was just much too cut up for me to feel confident about riding on it. Perhaps, when I'm so inclined, soon, I'll put the new tire in front and the older tire in the rear.

No comments: