Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Sekai lives on

I've managed to part out the components from Sekai - the fenders and some slightly-used tires to a co-worker, and the drive train and the practically new Schwalbe Marathon tires to Jason. Of course, there were many parts that were just transferred to the Bleriot.

Both of the components recipients eventually elected to have our local bike shop do the installation. The mechanics recognized the parts immediately, and are highly amused. So I'll get to see most of my former bike on many future rides.

But wait... I was in the shop yesterday, looking for a rear-reflector solution. The one I've got at the bottom of the rear fender is a compromise. And yes, Mark had a box of rear reflectors that folks didn't want, so we found something suitable. But then he pointed toward the tool box, and the other mechanic (new; I haven't met him yet) pulled out their newest tool. A cheater bar, which is used to extend the lever of a wrench to get more oomph. A blue cheater bar, with a Sekai decal in the middle.

Jason had left the frame with them to recycle after they pulled the bottom bracket for him, as I didn't need it back for anything. Rather than recycle it outright, they thought they'd make a tool from the seat tube!

I can visit it any time I want.

On the Bleriot front, I did a better installation of the rear mudflap/rear reflector combination, and appear to have eradicated the fender rattle at the rear fender bridge, by stuffing strips of old inner tube between the fender and the bridge. The last thing to do is to swap out the headset spacer with the headset spacer tapped for the bell, which I'll do on the way home today.

No comments: